Assisted Readymades : chairs 2000-01















These are definitely not my earliest work.



These works I think are resent enough and also important as a shift from my earlier years. These objects claim a use value and stand at the threshold of becoming something else than art.



These chairs were supposed to sat on during the display which unfortunately did not happen.




Chairs were an assemblage of other mass produced chairs that are commonly used in all institutions. Every year a whole lot of these chairs, damaged, are thrown away, in the college where I work. I collected them and started repairing them. My ideal was the chairs or seating arrangements used by the watchmen of the multistoried buildings or the street side tea stalls. The randomness of the choice of objects that come together and the bare minimum of its structure that serves the purpose interested me. But the marks of repair stays back and needed other objects to cover it. So the chairs evolved as I repaired the chairs and tried to hide the mark of repair.

4 comments:

ninad said...

yay!
I am proud possessor of the chair no.2, as seen here:
http://bp1.blogger.com/_3gfi-3NLNj0/Rcrbo-W6XlI/AAAAAAAAACM/CMWFau7VPvM/s1600-h/n17s_jpg.jpg

ranjit kandalgaonkar said...

finally!!!!!
oh..and
i sat on chair no 1 yesterday :)

Prachi said...

Where are they now?

Prachi said...
This comment has been removed by the author.